Banff National Park : Lake Louise
Lake Louise, the lake, is located west of the village of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada in the Banff National Park. The lake is a popular sightseeing and activity destination in the region and is home to the Chateau Lake Louise.
Chateau Lake Louise is a historic site that once was a railway hotel servicing industry and travel. The resort was built in the early 1900s on the shores of Lake Louise near the entrance to the lake by the Canadian Pacific Railway company. Today it operates as a luxury resort.
Lake Louise was named after the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria who's name was Princess Louise Caroline Alberta. The princess was the wife of Canada's Governor General (1878 to 1883) at the time - Marquess of Lorne. However, the lake is best known for its aqua color and glacier views.
The aqua colored lake has always been a favorite spot for photography and activity. The color of the lake is created from a substance called "rock flour". From the glaciers high above the "rock flour" flows down into the lake during the warmer spring and summer run-off seasons.
There is a large waterfront promenade located at the entrance of the lake popular for sightseeing. There are sitting benches, picnic tables, flower gardens and grass lawns. It is a busy destination, often in peak months there are many people roaming the grounds.
The large promenade connects to walking and hiking trails in the summer and cross country ski trails in the winter. Nearby there are some boat docks, a launch and a canoe rental company.
Some of the hiking trails explore glaciers, lead to teahouses, mountain passes and peaks. Lake Louise trails vary - many difficult, a few are easy going. Some of the wilderness trails are shared with horseback riders and mountain bikers. Some of the trails are access routes used by rock climbers looking for cliffs to climb.
How to Get to Lake Louise
Travel to Main Street (Village Road) in the community of Lake Louise, Alberta. From the village travel 5 kilometres along Lake Louise Drive to the main paved parking lot at the Chateau.